We’re celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ!
It is unfortunate that Christmas time has been so commercialized that the real focus on the birth of Jesus has been lost. Celebrating the birth of Jesus is a celebration of the most unique birth in history. So how is the birth of Jesus unique?
1) He was born of a virgin
This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:18-21
2) His birth was prophesied hundreds of years before it happened
Promised in Micah 5:2 about 700 years before Christ:
“But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you one will go forth for me to be ruler in Israel.”
Fulfilled in Matthew 2:1:
“Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the Days of Herod the King …”
Promised in Isaiah 7:14 about 700 years before Christ:
“Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call his name Immanuel.”
Fulfilled in Matthew 1:24-25:
“And Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took her (Mary) as his wife, and kept her a virgin until she gave birth to a son; and he called his name Jesus.”
3) He was called the Word of God
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning… The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” John 1:1,2,14
Behold! The angels said: “O Mary! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus.” Qur’an Surah 3:45
Why was Jesus born in this unique manner?
1) All mankind has sinned and fall short of the glory of God and are under God’s judgment
2) God is merciful and loves mankind but He is holy and will judge sin. He won’t just forgive sin without judging it.
3) Jesus, being born of a virgin was not tainted by mankind’s sinfulness and was the only sinless person that ever lived.
4) His name, Jesus, means “Saviour” and His purpose was to save his people from their sins.
5) Being sinless He was the only candidate who could offer His life as a sacrifice for the sins of the world, which He did.
6) God judged Jesus in our place and He had mercy on us and gave us eternal life.
7) We receive this forgiveness and life through believing that our sins have already been judged in Jesus and we repent from our sins and self centeredness to live for God in Jesus acknowledging Jesus to be Lord of our lives.
In celebrating the birth of Jesus we are celebrating God our Saviour coming to forgive us our sins and give us eternal life.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss this message further please write to
email@example.com or PO Box 14304, Laudium, 0037, South Africa